Kara boondi recipe,with video, a deep fried snack made using gram flour, generally mixed with South Indian Mixture too. I made for this diwali and wanted to post the recipe before that. I made this to put it in mixture. But somehow, i couldn’t get time to post this before diwali. Again i am making South Indian mixture for my in laws as i am visiting them shortly. Now i am sharing the recipe of Kara boondi. This recipe came with a lot of tips to make perfect boondi. Please read the post completely and do try this at home. Check out my
INGREDIENTS – Yields 3 cups
|BESAN | KADALAI MAAVU| GRAM FLOUR||1 CUP|
|RICE FLOUR||3 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1 TSP|
|BAKING SODA||A PINCH|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|CASHEW NUTS||7-8 NO(OPTIONAL)|
Video of how to make Kara boondi
- Combine both the flour in a bowl. Add salt, baking soda,asafoetida, and red chilli powder to this.
- Pour 2 tblsp of hot oil to the flour mixture.
- Add water to this to make this into a dosa batter consistency.
- While adding water to the besan , first add a small amount of water and make it into a thick paste. The amount of water depends upon the texture of besan.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- To check whether the consistency is right for the batter, take a spoon and with the back of the spoon mix the batter well and just hold it on the top of the hot oil.
- If this forms a nice round ball then the consistency if perfect, else it gives a tail you need to add little extra water. Add 1 tblsp and check again.
- If this forms a very thin roundels then the water is more, just add one tblsp of besan to this and check again.
- Now the batter is ready for boondis.
- You need 2 perforated ladle for making this. The ladle with small holes to make boondi and another one to take out the boondis from oil.
- Pour a ladle of batter to the perforated ladle ,keeping the ladle on the top of the oil and let the boondis falls into the oil.
- Fry till the oil sound subsides. Then only we can get crispy boondis.
- Take out from oil and drain it in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat this for rest of the batter.
- Wipe of the ladle every time when you pour the batter.
- When it is done transfer everything to a wide bowl and deep fry the curry leaves , cashew nuts and peanuts(if adding) in the hot oil till the cashew turn into a nice golden brown color. Fry everything separately.
- Mix well.
- Transfer it to a air tight container.
- Will post the mixture recipe soon. For more tips on making boondi visit my post on boondi ladoo.