Side dish for idli| dosa|poori|chapathi
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Moong dal 1/4 cup
Garlic 2 flakes
Green chili 1
Potato 1 small size
Small onions 7
Bay leaf 1
Cinnamom 1 small stick
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tsp
Pottukadalai | gram dal | chutney dal 1/2 tsp
Coconut 2 tblsp
Fennel | sombu 1/2 tsp
Green chili 1
- Cook the moong dal with the garlic pods in pressure cooker till 3-4 whistles. Cook the potato too in the cooker. Peel the skin of the potato.
- Grind the coconut, fennel, green chili, gram dal(pottukadalai) into a fine paste. You can add little water while grinding.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds, slit green chili,cinnamon,bayleaf, curry leaves,
- Add in the peeled shallots to this.
- Cook till the onions become soft.
- Mash the potatoes with your hands. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water . Add this moong dal water and mashed potato into the pan. Add salt.
- Now add the ground paste to this and mix well. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Add little water if you feel it is very thick.
- Do not add more garlic than mentioned. You can either grind 1 flake of garlic along with the coconut or you can roughly mash 2 garlic flakes and add it while tempering too.
- Do not add pottukadalai more than the quantity mentioned. Else it won’t taste good.
- You can add some carrots and green peas also to this. If adding add after adding onions and add 1 cup of water and boil it for few minutes.
- My cousin told me, now a days she soaks moong dal for 20 minutes and make everything in a pressure cooker as a one pot gravy.