Kuthiraivali |barnyard millet |Odalu in kannada|Jhangora in hindi, is a healthy millet and i have experimented few interesting recipes with this millet and will be posting the millet recipes every monday. I have made a supplement book for Managayr Malar a popular Tamil magazine themed Millet recipes. This book will be published today DEC15-31 edition. I have tried this Kuthiraivali tomato rice and it was very nice and we couldn’t feel any odd taste too. Perfect to pack for lunch box too. I used the similar recipe as of my thakkali sadam.
Kuthiraivali tomato rice
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 1
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Cook the rice with 3/4 cup of water by adding salt and few drops of oil . Cook in a low flame.You can cook this in an open pan itself. Once the rice becomes soft and the water dries up switch off the flame and spread the rice on a plate.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the finely chopped onions and saute till they become pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and add in the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook in a low flame till the tomatoes become mushy. Add in the garam masala in the last.
- Add in the cooked kuthiraivali rice and mix gently. Keep the flame low .
- Kuthiraivali tomato rice is ready to serve. Serve with any raitha or a simple fried appalam or vadam.
- Do not over cook the millet and make it mushy.
- You can add ginger garlic paste in the beginning to enhance the flavour.
- Green chili can also be added in the seasoning if you want this little more spicy.
- Pav bhaji masala can be replaced with garam masala.