Lauki Muthia recipe – Healthy Gujarati snack recipe
Muthia is a Gujarati snack that was introduced to me by my friend and I got addicted to these healthy and delicious steamed dumplings. A few days back when I had a sudden craving for this muthias I told this to my friend and the next day she sent a box full of yummy muthias to my place. The next day, I asked her the recipe and tried it on my own and this came out very awesome. This can be made with many veggies, but I have tasted the bottle gourd muthias and the palak, methi muthias. Sharing the recipe for bottle gourd | lauki muthia now.
Lauki muthia recipe
- 1 and ½ cup grated bottle gourd | sorakkai
- 8 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp sugar
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp sesame seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 2 red chili
- 1 tbsp coconut
- Peel the skin of the bottle gourd and grate this in a fine grater.
- Squeeze the excess water from the grated bottle gourd( Use your maximum strength while squeezing).
- Add wheat flour, oats, cumin seeds, salt, sugar, and yogurt to this and make a sticky dough.
- Make this into small cylindrical shapes.
- Steam this for 20 mins(check by inserting a toothpick.) It should come out clean.
- When it is cool, cut this into small roundels.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds, broken red chilli, and curry leaves.
- Add the cut muthias to this.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the sesame seeds and switch off the flame.
- Add the grated coconut(if using) and transfer it to a serving plate.
- Enjoy hot tea.
- As bottle gourd leaves excess water do not add much yogurt to make the dough
- While making with palak or methi leaves more yogurt can be used.No need to use water to make a dough.
- Garam masala, red chili powder ginger garlic paste can be added while making the dough.
- The cylindrical dumplings can be microwaved also instead of steaming and I strongly recommend this too.