GUJARATHI SNACK RECIPE
Muthia is a gujarati snack which was introduced to me by my friend and i got addicted to this healthy and delicious steamed dumplings. Few days back when I had a sudden craving for this muthias i told this to my friend and the next day she sent a box full of yummy muthias to my place. Then next day, i asked her the recipe and tried on my own and this came out very awesome. This can be made with many veggies, but i have tasted the bottlegourd muthias and the palak, methi muthias. Sharing the recipe of bottle gourd | lauki muthia now. INGREDIENTS
BOTTLE GOURD(GRATED) 1 AND 1/2 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR 8 TBLSP OATS 2-3 TBLSP YOGURT 1 TBLSP CUMIN SEEDS 1/2 TSP SUGAR 1/4 TSP SALT AS NEEDED OIL 1 TSP MUSTARD SEEDS 1/2 TSP SESAME SEEDS 1/4 TSP(OPTIONAL) CURRY LEAVES FEW RED CHILLI 2 NO GRATED COCONUT 1 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)
- Peel the skin of the bottle gourd and grate this in a fine grater.
- Squeeze the excess water from the grated bottle gourd( Use your maximum strength while squeezing).
- Add wheat flour, oats, cumin seeds, salt, sugar , yogurt to this and make a sticky dough.
- Make this into small cylindrical shapes.
- Steam this for 20 mins(check by inserting a tooth pick.) It should come out clean.
- When it is cool, cut this into small roundels.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds ,broken redchilli and curry leaves.
- Add the cut muthias to this.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the sesame seeds and switch off the flame.
- Add the grated coconut(if using) and transfer it to a serving plate.
- Enjoy hot with tea.
- As bottle gourd leaves excess water do not add much yogurt to make the dough.
- While making with palak or methi leaves more yogurt can be used.No need to use water to make a dough.
- Garam masala , redchilli powder ginger garlic paste can be added while making the dough.
- The cylindrical dumplings can be microwaved also instead of steaming and i strongly recommend this too.