Omapodi is an easy snack made during diwali . My mom mostly make it to mix it with South Indian Mixture but in my in laws place they love to eat it as such too. and both my kiddos love to have omapodi . Apart from mixing this in mixture this can be used in chaat recipes for garnishing too.
Check out my
Check out my
|BESAN | KADALAI MAAVU | GRAM FLOUR||1 CUP|
|RICE FLOUR||1/4 CUP|
|OMAM |AJWAIN SEEDS||1 TSP|
|WATER||1/4 CUP + 2 TBLSP|
|BUTTER or OIL||2 TBLSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP (OPTIONAL)|
- Sieve the gram flour and rice flour for even mixing.
- Dry roast the omam in a pan and soak this for 15 minutes in 1/4 cup of water.
- Keep the water aside and grind this in a mixer using the soaked water.
- Normally the omam will not get grind smoothly as it is in a very small quantity.
- Even if it is slight coarse also ok. Using the remaining soaked water extract the omam water by mashing the ground omam with your hands . filter it using a tea strainer.
- Use this water to mix the water. If u don’t want to discard the omam nicely mash with hands and add half of it to the flour to make the dough.
- Make a sticky dough by adding 2 tblsp of soft butter or hot oil . add salt to taste. If adding chilli powder add while kneading the dough.
- Use the small dotted hole one for making omapodi and keep a portion of dough inside the presser and start pressing it into the hot oil by making circles.
- Flip it after sometime . Take out and drain in a kitchen towel when the oil sound subsides.
- When it is cool, break it into pieces and store it in an airtight container.
- Do not add too much omam as it will give a bitter taste to the omapodi.
- If the dough is kneaded tight or kept open for a long time it will be difficult for you while pressing.
I too posted this recently..looks perfect jey :)Pretty clicks as always 🙂
crispy omapodi! very crunchy!
crunchy and delicious..
So crispy and yummy snack !!
Love this crunchy munchy ompodis, beautiful clicks.
This looks different from what we have in Malaysia…nice…
Presented in a simple and elegant manner. One of our favorite snacks too. Well, all deep fried snacks seem to be our favorite :).
Event: DIO – Ginger and Garlic
Event: Diwali Bash
wow very tempting recipe,luks gr8!
Looks so good. I might make this too! Have bookmarked so many from your site.
Never miss to make this as its the family favorite. This year too have to make it soon 🙂 Looks crispy!
Nice and tempting diwali snack…
I have to make after seeing yours. Nicely done Jey !!
A fav snack…crispy and yummy…Nice presentation..
this is my DH's fav snack.. he just loves it. perfectly done dear and nice clicka as always.
all time favorite and a very versatile snack!!
Ongoing Event – CWF – Whole Wheat Flour
Looks so crispy n yum ….perfectly done
Love this simple snack anytime,looks perfect
Mittus fav…love it anytime. Perfect sev
hi, thx for the recipe, look very tempting.
i'm a bit confuse. gram flour is from chick peas flour ? or the smaller chick peas type
Gram is the one we get from grinding the Channa dal. I never tried with chickpeas. You get the besan | kadalimaavu| gram flour in Indian grocery store
I am having omam powder. What quantity should I use..??
For 1cup besan and 1/4 of rice flour you can add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of omam powder.
Hi jeyshri! Can I use OMA water which We get in medical shops?
Hi Shilpa, never tried this, so don't know how it will taste.