Onion chutney was introduced to me when my mom was here. Very long back i learnt the recipe of vengaya thogaiyal recipe from my mami and tried it few times at home too. But this onion chutney i have never tried or tasted. When i posted the recipe of WHEAT DOSA Ii placed this onion chutney near by the dosa. Many readers asked the recipe of that. So i made this vengaya chutney last week for idlis. Try out this easy onion chutney (without coconut).
Also check out my
INGREDIENTS: YIELDS 1 CUP
|SHALLOTS | SMALL ONION
|A SMALL PIECE
- Peel the skin the onions and wash it nicely.
- Pat dry it and add little oil and add the urad dal and red chilli. In a low flame roast this till golden brown. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the shallots
- Roast this in a low flame till golden brown.
- Allow this to cool and grind this along with tamarind and salt into a smooth paste.
- Add little water while grinding.
- In a pan add sesame oil and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When done add this to the chutney.