Puli aval recipe, South Indian style Tamarind Poha – No onion no garlic tiffin recipe – Easy Puli aval recipe with full video and step by step pictures.
Puli aval is a quick and easy tiffin recipe made in our house for breakfast or evening tiffin. My amma makes puli upma using rice flour and it is our favorite too. This puli aval tastes similar to puli sadam | tamarind rice. We are not making puli kaichal paste for making this puli aval.
If you have tamarind paste in hand, it is even quicker to make this tiffin. As it is a no onion no garlic recipe, you can make this on festival days and during Navaratri too. I used thick white aval for making this puli aval. You can use red poha for a healthier version too.
Puli aval recipe
- 1 cup thick poha
- 5 tbsp thick tamarind extract
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3 red chili
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Wash the poha | aval and drain the water.
- Make a thick extract from a small goose berry sized tamarind.
- Add this to the washed poha and mix evenly.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal, peanuts and red chilli .
- When the mustard seeds splutter and the dals turn brown.
- Add in the turmeric powder , salt and asafoetida.
- Add the tamrind poha mixture to this and mix gently.
- If you feel it is dry just sprinkle few drops of water.
- Garnish with curry leaves
- Always serve this hot with roasted papad.