Puli kuzhambhu is a rare item which i make in my kitchen as except me rest all in my family will not prefer this pulikuzhambhu much. Whenever we order Lunch thali meal in Saravana Bhavan this pulikuzhambhu will be in their menu and i like to eat this curd rice or have with plain rice and papad. I wanted to try this out at home for a long time. One of my friend makes this pulikuzhambhu very nicely and i called her up and asked for the recipe. she elaborated the recipe and the puli kuzhambhu turned out super yummy. Traditionally Kathrikkai and murungakkai are added to this kuzhambhu. You can make with ladies finger and even bitter gourd too.
|DRUMSTICK | MURUNGAKKAI||1|
|SHALLOTS(SMALL ONION)||5 + 3|
|TAMARIND WATER||2 CUPS|
|COCONUT SCRAPPED||2 TBLSP|
|JEERA|CUMIN SEED||1 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||2 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||1 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|VENDAYAM | FENUGREEK SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Chop the drumsticks into medium size pieces. Cut the brinjals into four.
- Peel the shallots and finely chop the tomato.
- In a wide vessel, take the tamarind extract(taken from 1 medium gooseberry sized tamarind).
- Grind the 3 shallots, coconut, jeera, red chilli powder, turmeric powder into a fine paste by adding little water to this.
- Add this to the tamarind extract and add the drumstick and brinjals.
- Add salt and mix it nicely using clean hands.
- In a pan add sesame oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and vendayam.
- When the mustard splutters add the peeled shallots and chopped tomatoes.
- Add the veggie, masala ,tamarind water mix to this.
- Keep this covered till it comes to a boil.
- When it starts boiling, take out the lid and let it boil nicely in a medium low flame, till the gravy reaches the kuzhambhu consistency.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves.
- Make this in the morning and have it for lunch as it will be more flavourful.
- You can add sambar powder instead of red chilli powder if you want.
- Originally fennel seeds (sombu)is used instead of cumin seeds. Since i don’t like the flavour much i added jeera.pan add oil and