I have never tried pulimilagai at home, when my mom was here last week, she loved the chilies which we get here and wanted to make it. So i just took my camera and just clicked the pictures without taking any effort!!. So here goes the recipe of puli milagai made by my mom.
- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 20 Minutes
- Serves: 4-5
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Lunch | Dinner
- Description: Puli Milagai a spicy gravy, Green chilies cooked in tamarind gravy a quite popular Tamil brahmin recipe, side dish for dosai
Green chili 25-30
Tamarind extract 2 cups (from a small lemon sized tamarind)
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Jaggery 2 tblsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Sesame oil 2 tblsp
Salt as needed
Method with step by step pictures :
- Wash and pat dry the chilies and chop them into fine pieces.
- Take extract from a small lemon size of tamarind . I used the 2 tsp of read ymade tamarind paste .
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds. When it splutters add the chopped green chilies and saute till it becomes light brown in color.
- Be careful at this stage. Keep your Kitchen windows open and use the electric chimney in the kitchen. Stay slightly away from the gas stove as the chili may splutter. Keep the flame in medium.
- When it is is done, slowly add the tamarind extract and add salt, jaggery ,asafoetida and turmeric powder. The addition of jaggery is to balance the spice.
- Let this mixture boil in a medium flame for 12 to 15 minutes.
- My mom always makes it in a thin consistency, but if you want it little thick just boil it for few more minutes.
- Serve with idli | dosa | curd rice.
- Add little extra jaggery if the chilies are very hot.
- This can be stored in the refrigerator, in a clean ,dry container for a week..