Gokulashtami is always special to my mother i law as she always tells me to make as many items as possible to offer Neivedhyam for Lord Krishna. Two years back when i was talking to her she told that she made Rava uppu seedai for Krishna jayanthi and she learnt the recipe from her friend. At that time i didn’t remember asking her the recipe but last week suddenly i remembered that conversation while talking to her and asked her for the recipe. She couldn’t give exact measurements but i was bit worried whether the seedai will burst as rava is bit coarse in texture. But she told me to try in small quantity but she told the rava uppu seedais didn’t burst. Later after 2 days, while talking to my relative here, she was mentioning her mom will make rava seedais and to my luck she is now in Singapore now to visit her. So mami instructed me properly the recipe of Rava uppu seedai and following her recipe i made it correct.These Rava seedais turned out crispy too. Thanks to your mom Chitra.
|RAVA | SOOJI||1/2 CUP|
|POTTUKADALAI |CHUTNEY DAL|ROASTED GRAM||1 TSP|
|COOCNUT (SCRAPPED)||1 TSP|
|SESAME SEEDS(WHITE)||1/4 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
- Powder the rava and pottukadalai in a mixer. You can even powder the pottukadalai alone finely. My rava was bit coarse i felt and so i powdered it too.
- Dry roast the coconut and sesame seeds separately till golden brown.
- Add butter , salt and the roasted coconut, sesame seeds and the ground rava and pottukadalai.
- Knead the dough into a soft pliable dough. This will take very less water 1 to 2 tblsp.
- Cover this and keep it aside for 45 minutes.
- After that make small balls out of this and allow this to dry in at kitchen towel or a while cloth for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep frying. Carefully drop this in oil and deep fry in a low flame till nice golden colour.
- Drain this in a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Rava Seedais are ready for neivedhyam.
- Adding pottukadalai is optional. I just added out of my own interest as the original recipe mami gave was without pottukadalai. I just added for binding.
- But do not add more than the proportion mentioned. It will become soggy.
- You can add 1 tsp of rice flour too instead of roasted gram dal, but if adding rice flour roast it nicely and sieve and then add.
- Red chilli powder can be added to enhance the taste.