Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Ridge gourd | peerkangai 2 and 1/2 cups (chopped into cubes)
Toor dal 1/2 cup
Garlic 5 cloves
Shallots | small onion 4
Green chili 2
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Oil | ghee 2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Salt as needed
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida 2 pinches
- Peel the ridge gourd and chop them into cubes. Wash the toor dal and cook this with enough water, a pinch of turmeric powder, garlic and onions, in a pressure cooker till 4-5 whistles.
- Mash this with the back of the ladle .
- In a pan add oil or ghee and add mustard seeds, slit green chili and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped ridge gourd, asafoetida,salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook this by adding 1/4 cup of water. This will get cooked very fast.
- Add the mashed dal to this and add little water to get the right consistency.
- Once it starts boiling, switch off the flame and add the lemon juice.
- Switch off the flame.
- Ridge gourd dal | peerkangai dal is ready to serve.
- Serve this with rice or roti.
- You can add finely chopped tomatoes to the dal while cooking the dal.
- If adding tomato, you can skip the lemon.
- You can use moong dal instead of toor dal.
- A handful of channa dal can also be added to get a creamy texture.
- Few red chilis or little red chili powder can also be added while tempering.