I have never made this thandai on my own, but happened to drink this few times in holi parties. Few of my friends insisted me to put this recipe of Thandai . I got this recipe from my friend who regularly makes thandai for our holi party. It turned out very well and i never know it is very easy to make Thandai at home. Even my south Indian friends, if you are not celebrating holi also, just try out this drink and stay cool this summer. This thandai is made for Maha shivaratri too.
- Boil the milk and allow this to cool completely.
- Soak the fennel seeds, poppy seeds, badam in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Take out the skin of badam and drain the water. Grind this soaked ingredients into smooth paste.
- Add the ground paste to the cooled milk and mix well. Add pepper powder(i freshly ground the peppercorns using mortar and pestle) and cardamom powder.
- Filter the milk using a strainer and squeeze out the masalas which gets into the strainer.
- The essence of the masala will now be infused in the milk. Thandai is ready.
- Add saffron in the last and keep it chilled for 1 to 2 hours.
- Thandai is ready to serve.
- If you need more sugar add extra according your sweet buds.
- You can add milk masala too in the last.