Tomato dal or tomato pappu is an easy dal recipe. A simple and comforting dal recipe which i learnt from my friend long back. Few days back , when was in no mood to cook i wanted to make something very simple yet tasty. I have little beetroot and few tomatoes and some carrots left over in the fridge. So i decided to make this tomato dal, Beetroot Chutney and carrot curry. It was absolutely a comforting meal and i thoroughly enjoyed the combo of tomato dal with beetroot chutney. Try out this easy tomato dal recipe. Even you can have this roti too.
- Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder and water.
- Once cooked, mash it nicely with the back of a ladle.
- Chop the onions , tomatoes and green chilli
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds , green chilli, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and saute till they turn soft. Now add in the tomatoes.
- If adding garlic crush it and add at this stage.
- Add little turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the cooked dal to this and mix well.
- Let this boil for 5 minutes .
- Switch off the flame and add the ghee. Addition of ghee will enhance the flavor of dal.
- Before serving garnish with coriander leaves.
- Toor dal can be replaced with yellow moong dal also.
- Always choose the ripe tomatoes for the dal.