Uppu seedai vella seedai, tips and tricks – Detailed post and video on how to make perfect seedai for Janmashtami | Krishna jayanthi
For the past 20 years I am doing seedai and every time it is a successful attempt only. My mom is an expert in making both uppu seedai and vella seedai. I have learnt it from her only.
In this post, I have added a video from my mom explaining the tips and tricks of making seedai.
This post will be very useful for beginners who want to make seedai for Krishna jayanthi.
Why my seedais are bursting
- The flour is moist
- The flour is not sieved well.
- Coconut is not roasted well
Uppu seedai vella seedai| tips and tricks
Tips to get no burst perfect seedai
- We should always roast the homemade rice flour a few times and sieve it well.
- If using store-bought rice flour, use the same method.
- Do not use store-bought kozhakattai maavu or idiyappam maavu for making seedai.
- You can use store-bought urad dal or homemade urad dal flour.
- If you are making homemade urad dal powder, dry roast it till golden brown. Cool and grind into a fine powder.
- Always sieve both the flours well.
- While using the coconut, roast it nicely till golden brown.
- The moisture from the coconut should be completely removed, else seedais will be burst in oil.
- Ensure there are no impurities in cumin seeds and sesame seeds.
- Always dry roast the sesame seeds well and add to the seedai dough.
- My mom insisted on using black sesame seeds but I have used white ones in my video.
- Also, my mom told, to mix the salt and asafoetida in water and add to the dough while kneading.
- I haven’t done this in my video but please follow her instructions if you are a beginner.
- While rolling seedais do not put too much pressure. Just gently roll it.
- After making the seedai balls, allow this to dry for 10 minutes.
- Spread in a kitchen towel or clean white cloth so that any extra moisture gets absorbed.
Why my seedais are not crispy. Many have this issue of uppu seedais not turning crispy, lets see the tips to get perfect crispy seedais
- For getting uppu seedais crispy, add 1 tsp of urad dal flour for 1 cup of rice flour.
- More quantity of urad dal will make it softer.
- Also, fry the seedais in low flame. If fried in medium flame it will get cooked outside so quickly and the inside will remain soft.
- Take time and fry them on low flame.
- Once the oil is hot, keep the flame low and fry the seedais.
Let’s see the tips to make perfect Vella seedai. Most of us have the common problem of Vella seedai getting disintegrated in oil. Let’s see how to get it perfect and trouble shooting techniques.
Reasons why vella seedai getting disintegrated in oil
- The quantity of jaggery is more and that’s the reason why it is getting disintegrated in oil.
- For 1 portion of rice flour, it should be 1/2 portion of jaggery. If that exceeds it will dis integrate in oil.
- Also, if the paagu padam | jaggery syrup consistency is not right it will get disintegrated.
- So always ensure to powder the jaggery well and measure.
- And to check the right consistency of jaggery syrup for vella seedai, pour few drops jaggery syrup in water and if you can gather them into a mass, it is perfect.
- No need to get soft of hard ball consistency.
- If the syrup dissolves in water then you have it boil it further more.
Trouble shooting techniques for Vella seedai – What to do with the dough, if it gets disintegrated in oil.
- Add some rice flour (ensure it is roasted few times and sieved well) to the dough and mix well. Make a dough.
- Apply little oil and cover and it and keep it overnight at room temperature.
- Next day you can make vella seedais.
Check out the full collection of Janamshtami | Krishna jayanthi recipes from Jeyashri’s kitchen