Verkadalai urundai for Karthigai deepam | Peanut balls , peanut balls in jaggery syrup, recipe with full video and step by step pictures. We make Verkadalai Urundai along with Pori Urundai for Karthigai Deepam. My mom makes this in the the same way as make the pori urundai. This one is our family’s favorite. I tried it for the first time and it turned out so well.
Check out my other karthigai deepam recipes
The most important thing for making this peanut balls is the jaggery should be nice “Paagu Vellam”. If not, you can not make out the syrup consistency. We generally use Raw peanuts, roast them and phew out the skin and make the urundai. We also get Roasted unsalted peanuts in shops .
Verkadalai urundai in tamil
Verkadalai urundai recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- Ghee To grease hands
- Cardamom a pinch
- 1/4 cup Water
- Add jaggery in a pan and add water. Melt the jaggery .
- Filter the impurities.
- Add back to the pan and allow this to boil
- Let this become thick syrup. Add few drops of syrup in a cup of water and gather them
- If you can gather them into a whole mass an form a hard ball then it is perfectly right.
- When you drop it on a plate it should give a good sound.
- Switch off at that stage and add the syrup to the roasted unsalted peanuts kept in a wide bowl
- You can roast the raw peanuts and phew the skin and use
- Mix well with a spoon.
- When it is warm start making urundais. Towards the end when it becomes hard, show the pan in heat for few seconds and it will melt down. You can make urundais then.
- Ensure hard ball consistency is formed, else you can't shape the urundais.
- Always use good variety of paagu vellam to make verkadalai urundai and Pori urundai.
- Add 1/2 cup of jaggery in a saucepan and add 1/4 cup of water.
- Melt the jaggery and filter the impurities.
- Add this back to the pan and let this boil into a thick syrup. Add in the elachi powder or sukku powder to this.
- Pour few drops of syrup in a bowl filled with water.
- If you could gather it into a whole mass and make a hard ball then it is perfect.
- Keep the roasted peanuts in a wide bowl and pour the jaggery syrup on this.
- I used store bought roasted unsalted peanuts. You can use raw peanuts and dry roast them and phew away the skin.
- Mix the syrup and peanut mixture well using a spoon.
- When it is warm enough to handle, grease your hands with ghee.
- Start making the balls. Take a small portion of the peanut jaggery mixture in hands and make urundais.
- Towards the end, when the mixture becomes hard, show it to flame for few seconds and it will melt down, then you can make the urundai.
- Store in airtight container.