Verkadalai urundai for Karthigai deepam | Peanut balls , peanut balls in jaggery syrup, recipe with full video and step by step pictures. We make Verkadalai Urundai along with Pori Urundai for Karthigai Deepam. My mom makes this in the the same way as make the pori urundai. This one is our family’s favorite. I tried it for the first time and it turned out so well.
Check out my other karthigai deepam recipes
The most important thing for making this peanut balls is the jaggery should be nice “Paagu Vellam”. If not, you can not make out the syrup consistency. We generally use Raw peanuts, roast them and phew out the skin and make the urundai. We also get Roasted unsalted peanuts in shops .
Verkadalai urundai in tamil
Verkadalai urundai recipe
Verkadalai urundai recipe in Tamil with video
Servings 14 urundais
- 1 and 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- Ghee To grease hands
- Cardamom a pinch
- 1/4 cup Water
- Add jaggery in a pan and add water. Melt the jaggery .
- Filter the impurities.
- Add back to the pan and allow this to boil
- Let this become thick syrup. Add few drops of syrup in a cup of water and gather them
- If you can gather them into a whole mass an form a hard ball then it is perfectly right.
- When you drop it on a plate it should give a good sound.
- Switch off at that stage and add the syrup to the roasted unsalted peanuts kept in a wide bowl
- You can roast the raw peanuts and phew the skin and use
- Mix well with a spoon.
- When it is warm start making urundais. Towards the end when it becomes hard, show the pan in heat for few seconds and it will melt down. You can make urundais then.
Tried this recipe?Mention @jeyashris kitchen or tag #jeyashriskitchen!
Like our videos ?Subscribe to Jeyashris kitchen!
- Ensure hard ball consistency is formed, else you can't shape the urundais.
- Always use good variety of paagu vellam to make verkadalai urundai and Pori urundai.
- Add 1/2 cup of jaggery in a saucepan and add 1/4 cup of water.
- Melt the jaggery and filter the impurities.
- Add this back to the pan and let this boil into a thick syrup. Add in the elachi powder or sukku powder to this.
- Pour few drops of syrup in a bowl filled with water.
- If you could gather it into a whole mass and make a hard ball then it is perfect.
- Keep the roasted peanuts in a wide bowl and pour the jaggery syrup on this.
- I used store bought roasted unsalted peanuts. You can use raw peanuts and dry roast them and phew away the skin.
- Mix the syrup and peanut mixture well using a spoon.
- When it is warm enough to handle, grease your hands with ghee.
- Start making the balls. Take a small portion of the peanut jaggery mixture in hands and make urundais.
- Towards the end, when the mixture becomes hard, show it to flame for few seconds and it will melt down, then you can make the urundai.
- Store in airtight container.
LOVE the pics jey. they have come out so well
shall we ask jey to make this and send along when I come to sg? I love kadalai urudai.. 🙂
Perfectly made heavy filling snack, Love the clicks!!!
So tempting.. pics are so so good
such tempting pics – so yummy jeyashri!!! am drooling here!!!
Ongoing Event – CWF – Whole Wheat Flour
Ongoing Event – Let's Party – Eggless Bakes and Treats
Lovely peanut balls…yummy…
Very nice picture Jey !
Tempting peanut balls… Lovely clicks too….
very attractive clicks jeyashri…. got perfect color balls too…
healthy and delicious snack, looks perfect jeya 🙂
delicious and yummy
Kardalai urundai super,luks yum…
so delicious n my favorite…
Today's Recipe – Gulab Jamun SNC No-2
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
love these looks yum
Perfectly made! Looks tempting. Nice pictures
i have roasted salted peanuts.can i use that and do
Salted peanuts will not taste very good
very beautiful presentation..
Love these snack…yumm
I love this!! mom usually makes this for ashtami..Looks good..
slurp…looks very tempting…
Join my ongoing EP events-Asafoetida OR Fennel seeds @ Divya's Culinary Journey
Drooling here, love this verkadalai urundai very much.
Lovely pictures Jeyashri..these are really tempting..though I have not made these at home but love to eat them.
one pf my fav. sweet….yummy
so nicely done, can have this anytime, a very healthy snack too..
Nice pic..really tempting
i am not able to do balls.where i went wrong?
what can i do to correct it?
The problem may be
1. Either you must not have got the correct stage of the vellam (hard ball consistency)or
2. The quantity of jaggery may be less than the amount mentioned.
Or may be the vellam is not a paagu vellam to hold the peanuts tightly.
No need to worry, just keep some more vella paagu(say 1/4 cup)and add the hot paagu with hard ball consistency to the mixture which u already have. Hope it works
thanx a lot.i made the balls some how.as u said i made again vella paagu and rolled it out
thanks for sharing.
Looks perfect, nice clicks too!
Wonderful bites! Healthy, delicious and guilt-free, I love that!
Irene of Light Up Ice Cubes
Tried this recipe today. Came out so well and tasted yummy.Thank you for sharing!!!!!!
Nice one, In north India we make it using Split roasted Skinned Kala Chana, I think in kerala its known as Fried Gram or pottukadalai
Also use puffed rice to make same sort of ladoo we call it Marunde in punjabi
Will try with peanuts too
Can do the same process to make badam urundai. Please do reply.
Never tried it with badam, bu we make with cashew so you can try
I took 2 cups of groundnut and 1.5 cups of jaggery. It was paagu vellam and the consistency was hard ball consistency. But the urundai was sticky. Can you let me know why it was sticky?
The jaggery was too much for the verkadalai. Please check the measurements in the ingredients list.