whole wheat naan on stove top.
Preparation Time : 15 mins+ 2 hrs resting time | Cooking Time : 5-7 Mins per naan |Yields: 12
Whole wheat flour 2 and 1/2 cup
All purpose flour | maida 1/2 cup
Active dry Yeast 2 tsp
Baking powder 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar 1/2 tblsp
Warm Milk 1/4 cup
Yogurt 3/4 cup
Oil 2 tblsp
Butter to make naans
Dry coconut | kopparai 2 tsp
Sugar 2 tsp
- Warm the milk. Do not make it hot, just luke warm is enough. Dissolve the yeast in the milk and keep it aside.
- In a wide bowl add the wheat flour, maida, salt, baking powder and sugar. Sift this for even mixing.
- Make a dent in the center and add the yeast mixture, yogurt and oil to this.
- Slowly Knead this into a smooth dough. You can add little warm water to knead the dough into a soft pliable dough.
- Keep this covered with a damp cloth for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile take the nuts and the dry coconut. Pulse this in a mixie into a coarse powder. The stuffing i have done for only 2 naans. Rest all i made as butter naan only. So this stuffing will be for 2 naans only not for the entire dough.
- After 2 hours, the dough would have raised .
- Punch down the dough and take a big lemon sized portion of the dough. Dust the rolling board with flour.
- Roll this into a small disc and place 1 tblsp of stuffing(coarsely powdered nuts) into this.
- Close this and ensure that it is perfectly sealed. Roll this gently into an oblong shape.
- Heat a tawa and cook this on both sides in a medium flame.
- Apply butter once it is cooked on both sides.
- If not using stuffing, just go ahead to make plain butter naans.
- Always ensure the yeast is actuve . Else it will not raise.
- Ensure that the milk is luke warm while dissolving the yeast. Hot milk will not make the yeast raise.
- You can add finely chopped garlic to the dough and make garlic naan.
- For stuffing you can add few raisins and fennel seeds.
- Instead of wheat flour you can add maida too.
- You can bake the naan too in an oven.
- Any left over dough can be kept in the refrigerator and can be stored for a day.