whole wheat naan on stove top.
Naan generally when we go out and eat in restaurants will be in our order. No wa days we always order tandoori roti and sometimes kids order naan. Naan generally made with all purpose flour| maida. I have already posted Plain Kulcha recipe. I wanted to try naan for a long time and finally tried it with whole wheat naan. I tried this recipe from here. I have heard and read about this rich peshwari naan. So wanted to try this at home and it was a very successful attempt. Generally naan goes well with malai kofta, paneer butter masala and chole masala.
Whole wheat peshwari naan
Preparation Time : 15 mins+ 2 hrs resting time | Cooking Time : 5-7 Mins per naan |Yields: 12
Whole wheat flour 2 and 1/2 cup
All purpose flour | maida 1/2 cup
Active dry Yeast 2 tsp
Baking powder 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar 1/2 tblsp
Warm Milk 1/4 cup
Yogurt 3/4 cup
Oil 2 tblsp
Butter to make naans
Dry coconut | kopparai 2 tsp
Sugar 2 tsp
- Warm the milk. Do not make it hot, just luke warm is enough. Dissolve the yeast in the milk and keep it aside.
- In a wide bowl add the wheat flour, maida, salt, baking powder and sugar. Sift this for even mixing.
- Make a dent in the center and add the yeast mixture, yogurt and oil to this.
- Slowly Knead this into a smooth dough. You can add little warm water to knead the dough into a soft pliable dough.
- Keep this covered with a damp cloth for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile take the nuts and the dry coconut. Pulse this in a mixie into a coarse powder. The stuffing i have done for only 2 naans. Rest all i made as butter naan only. So this stuffing will be for 2 naans only not for the entire dough.
- After 2 hours, the dough would have raised .
- Punch down the dough and take a big lemon sized portion of the dough. Dust the rolling board with flour.
- Roll this into a small disc and place 1 tblsp of stuffing(coarsely powdered nuts) into this.
- Close this and ensure that it is perfectly sealed. Roll this gently into an oblong shape.
- Heat a tawa and cook this on both sides in a medium flame.
- Apply butter once it is cooked on both sides.
- If not using stuffing, just go ahead to make plain butter naans.
- Always ensure the yeast is actuve . Else it will not raise.
- Ensure that the milk is luke warm while dissolving the yeast. Hot milk will not make the yeast raise.
- You can add finely chopped garlic to the dough and make garlic naan.
- For stuffing you can add few raisins and fennel seeds.
- Instead of wheat flour you can add maida too.
- You can bake the naan too in an oven.
- Any left over dough can be kept in the refrigerator and can be stored for a day.
Yummy.will try for sure
healthy and delicious naan!!! those serving plates and bowls looks so cute!!
Super healthy diet for kids and adults too. And a very good substitute for the Naan made of maida.
Naans looks restaurant style…healthy version
Looks like a healthy version of naan with lesser quantity of maida. A new mix of ingredients for stuffing.. Should definitely give it a try !!
Yummy dish,nice presentation
Can this stuffing be made for normal paratha or chapati ?
Yes you can use it for sure
Mam I am ur fan…simply superb recipe..ur my cooking guru
Love your yummy butter naan
How to make naan in microwave..
Thank you so much. I haven't tried in microwave.