Appam is a sweet dish made with wheat flour and this is my daughter’s favorite. Normally this is made during Ganesha Chaturthi |Vinayagar Chaturthi. I made this for Janmashtami yesterday. Along with i made murruku, thattai, milk peda, and aval. ALso this can be made for Karthigai deepam too.
Here is the recipe of sweet appam with whole wheat flour and jaggery.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Makes : 25-28 approx.
Wheat flour 1 cup
Rice flour 1 tblsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Jaggery 1 cup
Coconut 1 tblsp
Water as needed
Ghee 1-2 tsp
- Take a broad vessel and combine the wheat flour ,rice flour and cardamom powder.
- Peel the skin of the banana and add to this.
3. In a kadai, add the jagerry aong with a cup of water and boil till the jagerry melts.
4. When it is done, filter it, to remove the impurities.
5. A tea strainer will do it .
6. Add this to the flour.
7. Mix it nicely with ur hand by adding a cup of water to it.
8. The consistency should be a dosa batter consistency.
10. Heat a paniyaram pan in the stove and keep the flame very low.
11. Drop the mixture to each of the holes with the help of a tsp.
12. Though i used a non stick paniyaram pan,i add a drop of ghee in all the
13. When it is done on one side, just flip it with the help of the wooden stick,which usually comes with the pan.
14. A chop stick also will help.
16. This proportion yielded 28 appams for me.
- Adding banana to this will make the appam very softer even if it is consumed after few hours.
- If u want coconut bits in this, u can add them instead of scrapped coconut.
- Instead of banana you can add a pinch of cooking soda too.