Appam is a sweet dish made with wheat flour and this is my daughter’s favorite. Normally this is made during Ganesha Chaturthi |Vinayagar Chaturthi. I made this for Janmashtami yesterday. Along with i made murruku, thattai, milk peda, and aval. ALso this can be made for Karthigai deepam too.
Here is the recipe of sweet appam with whole wheat flour and jaggery.
|WHEAT FLOUR||1 CUP|
|RICE FLOUR||1 TBLSP|
|ELACHI POWDER||A PINCH|
|COCONUT SCRAPPED||2 TBLSP|
- Take a broad vessel and combine the wheat flour , rice flour and elachi powder.
- Peel the skin of the banana and add to this.
4. When it is done, filter it, to remove the impurities.
5. A tea strainer will do it .
6. Add this to the flour.
7. Mix it nicely with ur hand by adding a cup of water to it.
8. The consistency should be a dosa batter consistency.
10. Heat a paniyaram pan in the stove and keep the flame very low.
11. Drop the mixture to each of the holes with the help of a tsp.
12. Though i used a non stick paniyaram pan,i add a drop of ghee in all the
13. When it is done on one side, just flip it with the help of the wooden stick,which ususally comes with the pan.
14. A chop stick also will help.
16. This propotion yielded 28 appams for me.
- Adding banana to this will make the appam very softer even if it is consumed after few hours.
- If u want coconut bits in this, u can add them instead of scrapped coconut.
- Instead of banana you can add a pinch of cooking soda too.