Though i used to make pickles when i was in India, this is the first time i am making pickles after coming to singapore. Tomato thokku , i learnt from my cousin as she makes it often for her kids who love this the most. Madhu and Nivi, this post specially comes for you.
|TOMATO(MEDIUM SIZED)||10 NOS.|
|SAMBAR POWDER||4 TSP|
|CHILLI POWDER||1 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||4 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|FENUGREEK SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Wash to the tomatoes and cut them into four pieces.
- Put it in a mixie and make them into puree.
- In a kadai, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, feneugreek seeds,curry leaves(i didnt have stock ,so didnt use)and asfoetida powder.
- When the mustard seeds splutter,add the tomato puree to it and add the chilli powder, sambhar powder ,salt and jaggery to it.
- Mix well.
- Keep the flame in low for 15- 20 mins, stirring in between.
- When the gravy thickens and leaves oil on the sides, switch off the flame
- When it is cool, transfer it to an airtight bottle.
- Add a tsp of sesame oil on the top of this.
- Keep in the fridge and can use this for a month.
- Instead of using chilli powder and sambhar powder, you can use red chilli powder only.
- Whenever you take the pickle from the container,use a dry spoon.