The recipe for bread upma i learnt from my mom who is an expert in making this dish and it has an interesting background too in our family. When my dad came to meet my mom for the first time, my mom made this bread upma as it is considered in those days, as an innovative and rich dish to serve for guests. My mom learnt this from her father( my grandfather) who is a good cook and this time i wanted to share this recipe with you.
|BREAD SLICES(I USED THE WHOLE MEAL BREAD)||6 NO|
|MIXED VEGGIES||1 CUP( CARROT, PEAS AND BEANS)|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
|GARAM MASALA||A PINCH|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|LEMON JUICE||1/2 TSP|
- Chop the onions into thin slices.Cut the carrot and beans finely.
- Cut the bread into small pieces by discarding the edges.
- In a kadai, add 2 tblsp of oil and saute the bread till it becomes golden brown. ( My mom used to deep fry the bread slices!!)
- Keep it aside.
- Add a tblsp of oil and throw in the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- when it splutters add the sliced onions to this and saute till turn into a nice golden brown colour.
- Now add in the veggies and saute in a medium flame for 5 minutes. the veggies must be cooked but should not loose its crunchiness also.
- Potatoes can be par boiled and cubed before adding.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder,garam masala and mix well.
- Add the bread pieces and mix well.
- Put off the flame and add the lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- If adding cashew nuts add a tsp of oil in a small pan and golden fry the cashew nuts and add to the bread upma.
- Serve it hot.