Though the first batch of seedai got slightly over fried the taste was too good. The second batch i took out on the right time. So you can see mixed colour of seedai in my picture.
|RICE FLOUR||1 CUP|
|URAD DAL FLOUR||1 TBLSP|
|SESAME SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|COCONUT OIL||1 TSP(OPTIONAL)|
- Roast the rice flour in a dry pan on low flame . Be careful not to change the colour. Roast for 1-2 mins.
- Sieve this flour and roast it again.
- Repeat this process twice.
- Be very careful not to over roast the flour by changing the colour.
- Keep it aside.
- Dry roast 4 tblsp of urad dhal in a pan.
- Just roast till golden brown.
- When it is cool, make it a fine powder in a mixie.
- Sieve the flour twice.
- Keep the flour in a airtight container till you use.
- In a wide vessel, add the rice flour and a tblsp of urad flour and sieve this together to ensure even mixing.
- Add butter, cumin seeds, roasted sesame seeds.
- Roast the coconut as we do for coconut rice. this step we do to take out the excess moisture.
- Mix the coconut with the flour and add salt to this.
- Knead this into a pliable dough by slowly adding water to this.
- The dough should not be too tight. Otherwise the seedai will get cracked.
- Make it into small balls by greasing your hands with coconut oil and spread them in a newspaper.
- Do not roll them too hard, Just gently roll them and do not over do.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- When the becomes hot, keep the flame in medium low.
- Throw in the seedai balls to the oil.
- Fry till the oil sound subsides.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the seedais.
- The first batch which i made got slightly overfried, this you could make out from the colour.
- But the taste was too good .
- Always roast the flour and sieve them twice.
- While adding cumin seeds, sesame seeds, coconut check whether all the impurities are removed. Even a small stone or dust particle will make the seedai burst.
- The seedai has to be fried in a medium low flame, as this will make it cook them inside too.
- I used the store bought rice flour. You can wash and soak the raw rice for 1- 2 hours and dry them in a towel and make flour out of this.