Uppu Seedai we make for gokulashtami and the festival is nearing i wanted to post the uppu seedai recipe ,a traditional snack. I used to do this every year and the recipe i got from a tamil magazine “Mangayar Malar” some 8 years back. Till date i am following the same instruction. I can confidently make seedai without the fear of seedai getting burst.Check out my
Preparation Time : 30 mins | Cooking Time : 40 mins |Makes: 1 cup
Home made rice flour 1 cup
Urad dal flour 1 tsp
Coconut (grated) 1 tblsp
Sesame seeds 1 tsp
Cumin | jeera 1/4 tsp (optional)
Butter 1 tblsp
Oil for deep frying
Coconut oil few drops (optional)
Salt as needed
Video of seedai
.For urad dhal Flour:
- Dry roast 4 tblsp of urad dhal in a pan
- Just roast till golden brown.
- When it is cool, make it a fine powder in a mixie.
- Roast the rice flour and urad dal flour in a dry pan on low flame . Be careful not to change the colour. Roast for 1-2 mins.
- Sieve this flour and roast it again.
- Repeat this process twice.
- In the pan add the sesame seeds and roast till slightly brown. roast the coconut also till golden brown.
- In a wide bowl add the roasted flour, butter, cumin seeds (if adding,no need to roast) roasted sesame seeds, coconut, and salt. Sprinkle water little by little and make it into a smooth soft pliable dough.
- The dough should not be too tight. Otherwise the seedai will get cracked.
- Make it into small balls by greasing your hands with coconut oil and spread them in a newspaper.
- Do not roll them too hard, Just gently roll them and do not over do.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- When the becomes hot, keep the flame in medium low.
- Throw in the seedai balls to the oil.
- Fry till the oil sound subsides.
- Take out from hot oil and drain in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the seedais.
- Always roast the flour and sieve them twice.
- While adding cumin seeds, sesame seeds, coconut check whether all the impurities are removed. Even a small stone or dust particle will make the seedai burst.
- The seedai has to be fried in a medium low flame, as this will make it cook them inside too.
- You can use store bought rice flour too.
- Idiyapam flour will not work out well uppu seedais.