When i saw jackfruits in the wet market yesterday i picked up 2 packets of jackfruits keeping in mind making chakka pradaman today for Tamil New year today. But i don’t have any idea about the recipe and while i was having a casual talk with Raks she also gave a idea and i vaguely remembered the way my mom makes jackfruit payasam. Finally today when i made this it turned out extremely nice and i am now waiting for everyone to come back from school and office to taste this jackfruit kheer.
|JACK FRUIT||10- 15 PIECES|
|COCONUT MILK(THICK)||1/2 CUP|
|CASHEW NUTS||5-7 NO|
- Wash the jackfruit pieces and deseed them.
- Cut them into pieces roughly.
- Slightly roast them in a tsp of ghee for 2 minutes in a medium flame.
- Pressure cook them for 2 whistles by adding a cup of water.
- When done, allow it to cool and grind it into a smooth paste.
- I got one and 1/4 cups of puree.
- Melt the jaggery in 1/2 cup of water and filter the impurities.
- Boil the jaggery water for 3 minutes in low flame.
- Add the jackfruit puree to this and boil for 2 minutes.
- Now add the coconut milk and just give a boil for 2 minutes in a low flame.
- I used the store bought coconut milk.
- Do not boil for a long time after adding the coconut milk. Else it will curdle.
- Roast the cashews in ghee and add to the payasam.
- This taste great when it is served warm and chilled.
- Check out other Payasam Recipes
- Coconut milk can be replaced with normal milk, but i recommend the addition of coconut milk.
- If the consistency is too thick just add 1/2 cup of water after the addition of coconut milk.
- I never add cardamom powder as i feel this will suppress the flavor of jackfruit.
- Adjust the level of jaggery according to the sweetness of the jackfruit.