Broken wheat upma is a usual breakfast recipe, which i make for my in laws everyday, when I was staying them in chennai. They always prefer to have this upma with vegetables. When they came here to Singapore, i wanted to click the picture of this upma before serving them, but somehow I couldn’t make it. Yesterday I wanted to make something healthy for my dinner, i made this upma for me.
|SAMBA RAVA||1/2 CUP|
|MIXED VEGGIES||1/2 CUP|
|GREEN CHILLI||1 NO|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 TSP|
I used the fine samba rava.
- Chop the veggies( i used carrots and beans) and the onions finely.
- Chop the green chillis.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds , and when it crackles add channa dal, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and saute till the onions becomes soft and turns pink.
- Now add the veggies and saute for 2 minutes in a medium flame.
- Add 2 cups of water to this and add salt to taste.
- Boil the water till the veggies becomes soft, in a medium flame.
- Now simmer the flame and slowly add the broken wheat and stir continuously without any lumps.
- Cook till the upma becomes soft and the water gets completely absorbed.
- Serve hot with any pickle.
Finely chopped tomatoes can be added while sauting the onions.
A tblsp of grated ginger can also be added while tempering to enhance the flavor.