STEAMED RICE DUMPLINGS- Using idli rava.
Upma kozhukattai is a easy and healthy dish which is usually made for evening tiffin or dinner at out place. Though my kids doesn’t prefer this very much now a days they started liking this and so i am making this once a week. Usually we make as the same procedure of Arisi Upma but addition of toor dal is optional in upma kozhukattai. But sometimes my mom add moong dal also which i like in upma kozhakattai .
Recently i have started trying this with Idli rava which we can easily find in Indian grocery stores. If not you can wash raw rice and drain the water and spread in a cloth for 15 minutes to 1/2 an hour inside the home and pulse it in a mixer to get the coarse rava.
INGREDIENTS:(YIELDS APPROX 25 NO.)
|IDLI RAVA||2 CUPS|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL||2-3 TBLSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1 TSP|
|BLACK PEPPER||3/4 TSP|
|COCONUT GRATED||2-3 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)|
|RED CHILLI||2 NO|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- In a mixer pulse the moong dal , cumin seeds and black pepper.(i normaly crush the pepper in a pepper crusher as my kids will prefer this way)
- Mix with idli rava and keep it aside.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds, asafoetida , peanuts(if adding) and red chillies.
- Add 5 cups of water to this and add salt to this.
- The ratio of rava and moong dal mixture and water is 1:2.5
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, simmer the flame and add the idli rava + moongdal mixture.
- Add coconut(if using) at this stage.
- Mix well without any lumps.
- Let the flame be in medium.
- Stir well.
- When the water gets absorbed completely switch off the flame.
- When the mixture becomes warm and can handle the heat with your palms start making round shaped balls or oblong shapes.
- Steam in a greased idli maker for 8- 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with any chutney .
- Do not leave the cooked idli rava mixture open for a long time else it will become dry and end up in hard and dry kozhukattais.
- Make it when it is warm.
- Grease you hands with a few drops of coconut oil while making balls.
- Do not steam this more than 12 minutes else the kozhukattais will become hard and break while taking out.