As pongal festival is nearing i wanted to post a traditional recipe which we make both for Pongal festival and Thiruvadirai. This ezhukari kootu | pongal kootu we make with 7 veggies especially the country vegetables like yam, raw banana,choyate,avarakkai, Mochhai,pumpkin and even arbi too.A little bit of all these veggies make a huge quantity of kootu and so just add a small piece of all veggies. We carry forward a small portion for the next day for “Kannupidi” too, where we offer food for crows and pray to god .
Now coming to the recipe this measurement serves 6-7 people.
|MIXED VEGETABLES*||2 CUPS|
|TOOR DAL (UN COOKED)||1/4 CUP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 TBLSP|
|URAD DAL||1/2 TSP|
|COCONUT OIL||1 TSP|
|COOKING OIL||1 TSP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1/4 CUP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Cook the toor dal and mochhai in pressure cooker .
- Cut the rest of veggies into cubes.
- In a kadai add 1/2 tsp of oil and add the coriander seeds,urad dal, channa dal and redchillies and roast till golden brown. Add coconut ( keep 2 tblsp aside )and grind it smoothly into a fine paste when it is cool. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped avarakkai(broad beans), and choyate (chow chow) and add salt and turmeric powder. Add 1 and 1/2cups of water and the tamarind water and cook the veggies.
- When it is half done add the rest of the veggies and cook. The entire cooking process has taken 8-9 minutes in a medium low flame. Add the cooked mochai to this now.
- Never overcook the veggies.
- Now add the ground paste to this and the cooked toor dal.
- Mix nicely without any lumps. Add water to get the right kootu consistency.
- Dry roast 2 tblsp of coconut in a pan till golden brown and add it to the kootu.
- Add coconut oil and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Don’t search mustard seeds in mine since i don’t have i didn’t add.
- Kootu is now ready to serve.
- I made it in a consistency of thick sambar as i wanted to mix with rice.
- If you want to make it as an accompaniment for any variety rice keep it little thick.