SOOJI PONGALRava pongal , if i remember correctly, i am making this for the second time. Few years back, in my in laws place i made this once. In fact, i tried it for the first time as someone told me that they made rava pongal for breakfast. After coming home, out of my own idea i made this Rava pongal. Those days i never know that i can get recipes from internet But it turned out quite well, after that i totally forgot about that. Suddenly yesterday when i was thinking what to make for breakfast, Rava Pongal came to mind and i started to make it keeping camera in one hand to post the recipe for you all.
I loved the taste and texture of the Rava pongal.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 3)
|SOOJI | RAVA||1/2 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL(PASI PARUPPU)||1/2 CUP(COOKED)|
|BLACK PEPPER||1/4 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|GINGER (GRATED)||1/4 TSP|
- Roast the rava finely in a pan without getting it burnt.
- Pressure cook the moong dal till it becomes mushy.
- In a pan, add ghee and add black whole pepper, ginger and cashew nuts.
- Fry in a medium flame till the cashew nuts turn golden brown. Add the cumin seeds now and immediately add water. Do not allow the cumin to roast for a long time as it will spoil the taste.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring it to a nice boil. Add salt.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the roasted rava to this. Keep it in a low medium flame. Once it starts cooking add the cooked moong dal. Mix well and let it sit for a while till the pongal consistency reaches.
- Garnish with curry leaves and if you want add a tsp of ghee to this you can add now.
- Serve hot with coconut and Tiffin sambar.
- You can roast the moong dal for 2 minutes and then pressure cook if you wish.
- Never roast the cumin seeds for a long time as it will give a medicinal smell.
- I added whole black pepper, you can even coarsely crush and add too.