Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time:20 minutes Serves:3
|SOOJI | RAVA||1/2 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL(PASI PARUPPU)||1/2 CUP(COOKED)|
|BLACK PEPPER||1/4 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|GINGER (GRATED)||1/4 TSP|
- Roast the rava finely in a pan without getting it burnt.
- Pressure cook the moong dal till it becomes mushy.
- In a pan, add ghee and add black whole pepper, ginger and cashew nuts.
- Fry in a medium flame till the cashew nuts turn golden brown. Add the cumin seeds now and immediately add water. Do not allow the cumin to roast for a long time as it will spoil the taste.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring it to a nice boil. Add salt.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the roasted rava to this. Keep it in a low medium flame. Once it starts cooking add the cooked moong dal. Mix well and let it sit for a while till the pongal consistency reaches.
- Garnish with curry leaves and if you want add a tsp of ghee to this you can add now.
- Serve hot with coconut and Tiffin sambar.
- You can roast the moong dal for 2 minutes and then pressure cook if you wish.
- Never roast the cumin seeds for a long time as it will give a medicinal smell.
- I added whole black pepper, you can even coarsely crush and add too.