Lemon rice is a simple recipe which i rarely make make at home but will be very handy for lunch box on weekday mornings when i get up little late and running out of time. We make this for Kannum pongal and Aadi 18 too along with other rice varieties. Here is my version of Lemon rice.
|COOKED RICE(RAW RICE)||1/2 CUP|
|LEMON JUICE||1 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1 TSP|
|ROASTED GRAM||1/2 TBLSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Cook the rice into separate grains and allow it to cool completely by spreading it in a wide plate.Add salt to this. In a pan, add chopped green chilli,ginger, urad dal, channa dal ,roasted gram and cashew nuts. Keep it in a low flame and let the dals get golden brown color.
- Add the mustard seeds now and when it crackles add the turmeric powder. Switch off the flame and add it to rice.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. check for salt. Serve with papad, vadam or with Mor kuzhambhu as my mom does.
- I used sona masoori rice, you can even use basmathi rice.
- The quantity of lemon juice depends on the tanginess of the juice and according to your taste buds too.
- You can add grated carrots in the last to make it healthier.