After Lord balaji, only pulliyodarai comes in mind whenever i think about Perumal Kovil. The Puliyodarai served in Perumal Kovil in the dhonnais , will taste divine and nothing can beat the taste.
Though i have posted the recipe of Pulikaichal which my mom makes, i have been wanting to post this Iyengar style puliyodarai for a long time. This recipe i learnt from my friend who is an iyengar and i always feast on the puliyodarai which she makes. So here is the recipe for authentic iyengar style temple puliyodarai.
Recipe updated with Video
INGREDIENTS: (GIVES 1/4 CUP PULIKAICHAL PASTE APPROX.)
TO ROAST AND GRIND:
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|URAD DAL||1 TBLSP|
|DHANIYA (CORIANDER SEEDS)||1 AND 1/2 TBLSP|
|SESAME SEEDS(i used white black also ok)||1 TSP|
|BLACK PEPPER||1 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||4-5 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|THICK TAMARIND EXTRACT||1 AND 1/2 CUP( I USED TAMARIND PASTE 2 TSP)|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Dry roast the ingredients given the table “To roast and grind”.
- While doing add the sesame seeds in the last as it will get burnt fast.
- When it is cool, powder it finely in a mixer.
- In a pan add sesame oil and temper the items given under the “to temper” table. When the dals turn golden brown add the tamarind extract. I used the tamarind paste(store bought) and added the water. If using tamarind, soak it in hot water and extract the juice.
- When it starts boiling add the ground powder , turmeric powder, salt ,jaggery and asafoetida.
- Simmer the flame and let this boil for few minutes till the raw smell goes off and this mixture reaches the right consistency.
- Cook half cup of sona masoori rice(raw rice) and allow it to cool. Let the grains be separate.
- Mix 2 tblsp of this pulikaichal to this rice and add a tsp of sesame oil. Nicely mix with clean hands. Check for taste, if you need little more spicy add extra paste or if you find it very spicy or making for kids add some more rice.
- You can pack this for kids lunch box along with any chips or papad.
- The pulkaichal mix can be stored in the refrigerator for a week to 10 days.
- But always use a dry spoon to take it. Never use wet hands.