SOUTH INDIAN BREAKFAST RECIPES
So today let me share the recipe of how to spongy Aapam (without yeast).
Preparation Time : 10 mins + soaking time 6 hrs | Cooking Time : 3 Min per appam |Serves: 5
Sona masoori rice | raw rice 1 cup
Idli rice | par boiled rice 1 cup
Urad dal 1/4 cup
Poha | aval 1/4 cup
Coconut 1/2 cup
Cooking soda | baking soda 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Sugar 2 tsp
Video on how to shape aapam
- Wash and soak the rice, urad dal and poha for 5-6 hours.
- Grind it into a smooth paste along with the coconut.
- Add salt and keep it aside for fermentation.
- It took 5-6 hours for me to get the batter fermented.
- It depends on the weather conditions of the place you live in.
- Add cooking soda, sugar just before making.
- If making a small portion add only to that portion.
- The consistency should be like a dosa batter.
- Keep an aapam pan ready on the stove top. The pan should not be too hot.
- You can even use a normal deep pan. I used non stick aapam pan.
- Pour batter towards the centre of the pan and rotate the pan to spread the batter.
- Cover the pan with a lid and after few seconds you can see the aapam got cooked in the centre and lacy borders on the sides.
- No need to flip it on the other side. Take it out from the pan using a butter knife or a ladle.
- Aapam is ready to serve now.
- You can make it as a normal dosa too , if you are not comfortable in making aapams in pan.
- Making proper shapes comes purely by practise so do not worry about that.
- Instead of adding coconut while grinding, you can add coconut milk before making the aapams. In this version, if you have anyone at home who do not like aapam , can be served dosa .