I have a pack of Oats and i wanted to try out something new recipe with Oats, other than the Oats Upma and Oats Idli . I came across this recipe of Oats recipe , a healthy and diabetic friendly recipe snacks with oats. Try out this easy and tasty oats tikki which i adapted from Tarla Dalal’s cookbook.
INGREDIENTS: YIELDS 11 TIKKIS
|QUICK COOKING OATS||1/2 CUP + 1/4 CUP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL||1/3 CUP|
|GARAM MASALA||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/4 TSP|
- Dry roast the 1/2 cup of Oats in a pan for 5 minutes, without getting it burnt.
- When it is cool make into a fine powder.
- Cook the yellow moong dal till it becomes soft. No need to pressure cook it. If you soak it for 10 minutes in water and cook in open flame it will be done in 10 minutes.
- Drain the excess water and allow this to cool.
- Grind the moong dal coarsely without adding any water.
- Put this to a wide bowl and add the oats powder, finely chopped onion, grated carrot,coriander leaves, red chilli powder,garam masala and salt.
- Combine this nicely and make it into small tikkis.
- Dip this in milk and roll in the dry oats (1/4 cup which is mentioned in the ingredient list).Coarsely grind this before using.
- Place this on a tawa and cook it by adding little oil on both sides till it becomes golden brown.
- If you wish to deep fry also can do it.
- Serve it hot with green chutney.
- While grinding the moong dal ensure that it doesn’t have water in it.
- Instead of moong dal you can add boiled potato too.
- Finely chopped capsicum, cabbage , corn kernels can be added to the tikkis.
- I used the rolled oats, you can use the quick cooking oats too.