Gothsu is a South Indian recipe, used as a side dish for Idli | dosa | upma| pongal. I have already posted a Onion Gothsu long back which my mom makes very often. But this recipe for kathrikkai gothsu | brinjal gothsu i learnt from my relative who visited our house last month. Though i prepared it long back somehow, didn’t post it. Finally today i am sharing the recipe of Kathrikkai gothsu which she told , they also call it as Chidambaram Gothsu.
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
|BRINJAL | EGGPLANT|KATHRIKKAI||1 (BIG VARIETY)|
|SHALLOTS |SMALL ONION||15|
|SESAME OIL||1 TBLSP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1/2 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Roast the brinjal on open flame by applying oil on it. Pierce the brinjal with forkso that it will get cooked inside too.
- Roast it in a low flame. When done, immerse the brinjal in water.After 5 minutes, take it out and peel the skin of the brinjal.
- After peeling the skin, take a bowl of water and rinse the brinjal again to avoid too much of smoke smell coming out from it.
- Mash the brinjal here and there to ensure that there is not insects in it.
- If you want you can pulse in a mixer else you can mash it with hands. I put mine in a mixer to get a smooth texture.
- In a pan add little oil and add the channadal, dhaniya,and red chilli. Roast it till golden brown and when cool make it into a fine powder.
- Peel the skin of the onions and add oil in the pan and throw in the mustard seeds.
- Add the shallots and roast till they turn golden brown.
- Add the tamarind extract (taken from a goose berry sized tamarind) and add the sambar powder, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Let this boil in a low flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the ground powder to this and allow this to boil for 5 minutes. You can add little water if the gravy is too thick.
- Add in the mashed brinjals and mix well. Add water to get the gothsu consistency.
- Let this boil for 3-4 minutes. Add a tsp of sesame oil in the last and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with idli | dosa.
- We had with Arisi Upma.