Curry leaves powder when mixed rice smeared with ghee or sesame oil will taste awesome . a simple roasted papad will be a great accompaniment to this.
Check out my KARUVEPILLAI KUZHAMBHU, KARUVEPILLAI THOKKU too.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 MINUTES . COOKING TIME: 10 MINUTES. MAKES : 3/4 CUP
|CURRY LEAVES |KARUVEPILLAI||1 CUP (Tightly packed)|
|URAD DAL||1/4 CUP|
|TAMARIND||A SMALL LEMON SIZED|
- Wash the curry leaves and pat dry them using a kitchen towel.
- Spread this for some time.
- In a pan add the urad dal and red chilli till golden brown and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add oil and add the tamarind and asafoetida saute for 2-3 minutes in a low flame.
- Keep it aside. Now add the curry leaves and saute for a minute. The curry leaves will slightly shrink. Add salt to this and switch off the flame.
- when cool, grind this into a fine powder in a mixer. ensure that the mixie is dry.
- If you want to add garlic you can crush 1 or 2 garlic and roast this while roasting dals and grind it along.
- If you want this a coarse powder, grind the dal into fine powder and lastly add the curry leaves and just pulse it once or twice.
- I remember my mother in law adding half portion of urad dal and half portion of channa dal to this.
- Store this in an airtight container and always handle this with a clean ,dry spoon.
- This can be kept in room temperature for 15 days.