Somehow, i have never seen at home this thavala vadai was never made. But i have the recipe written in my mom's hand written cook book, which i looted from her during my India trip last year. I promised her that i will return her book soon, but still keeping that with me !!!
- Soak the all the dals and rice separately for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, grind the rice, channa dal, toor dal and urad dal along with red chili and ginger.
- Grind this into a rava consistency. Drain the water from moong dal and just pulse this once. If going to make vadai immediately add salt to this. Else add it before making vadai.
- Add curry leaves and finely chopped coconut. If adding sour curd add it just before frying.
- I didn't add as i don't have sour curd. The batter shouldn't be thick, it should be in dropping consistency. Temper mustard seeds and asafoetida with little oil and mix well. Batter is ready to fry.
- Heat oil in a pan and when it is hot, put down the flame to medium and start making small portions of batter and carefully put it in oil. Deep fry till golden brown.
- Drain this in a kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with getti coconut chutney.
- Always ensure the batter should be dropping consistency, else the vadai will turn hard.
- If making later , put the grind batter in the refrigerator and add salt, yogurt and coconut bits just before frying.
- You can add grated coconut too.
- Adding sour curd will make the vadai soft inside and crispy outside.
- Do not add water whiile grinding. If needed can sprinkle little.