Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 6
Mixed Vegetables* 3 cups
Coconut 1/2 Cup
Tamarind a small lemon size
Sesame seeds 2 tbslp
Coriander seeds 1 tblsp
Toor dal 1 tblsp
Urad dal 1/2 tblsp
Vendayam |methi seeds 1/2 tsp
Raw rice 1 tblsp
Red chili 5-6
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Sesame oil 2 tsp
Powdered Jaggery 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Asafoetida 2 pinches
*I used mochai, avarakkai(broad beans), raw banana( vazhakkai), chayote(chow chow), yam(sennai kizhangu), beans, Yellow pumpkin and white poosanikai. You can add sweet potato, Brinjal(kathrikkai) too.
- Mochai only pressure cook and keep. Rest all veggies cut into big cubes.
- Take 2 cups of tamarind extract . Add the veggies in a pan and the tamarind water. Add asafoetida and salt and boil till the veggies are become soft. Do not over cook them.
- Dry Roast the sesame seeds till golden brown and keep aside.
- Add a spoon of oil and roast the coriander seeds(dhaniya), toor dal,methi seeds, urad dal, raw rice and redchili. When they are golden brown take it out and add the grated coconut. Roast till golden brown. Allow this to cool .
- Grind this along with the coconut . You can add water while grinding.
- When the vegetables are cooked add the ground paste to this.
- Add water to get the right consistency. Add jaggery.Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves in sesame oil.
- Thalagam kootu | kuzhambu is ready to serve. You can have this with plain hot rice too.
- Kopra can be replaced with fresh coconut. In that case no need to roast it.
- No need to add any cooked dal as the raw rice, sesame seeds will give nice thickness to the kuzhambu.
Technorati Tags: thiruvadirai kootu,thalagam kuzhambhu,thiruvathirai recipes,festival recipes,traditonal tamil brahmin recipes