Preparation Time : 20 mins + 1 hr resting time | Cooking Time : 40 Mins |Makes: 12
For the outer cover
All purpose flour | Maida 1 cup
Sooji|rava 1 tblsp
Oil 3 tblsp
Salt to taste
Ajwain | omam 1/4 tsp
For the filling
Potato 3 medium size
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera powder 1/4 tsp
Amchoor powder 1/4 tsp
Ajwain 1/4 tsp
cumin seeds a pinch
Salt to taste
Garam masala 2 pinches
Oil 2 tsp
Oil to deep fry
- First let's make the dough as it needs to rest for an hour.
- In a wide bowl add the flour, sooji, salt and ajwain seeds.
- Add the oil too.
- Mix it well till the flour becomes crumble. If you could hold the flour in your hands it should hold into a shape. You can add ghee too instead of oil.
- Add little water and make it into a smooth dough.
- Cover this properly and keep it aside for an hour.
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker till 3-4 whistles. Take out the skin and mash the potatoes nicely.
- In a pan add oil and add in the jeera and ajwain. Coarsely pound the coriander seeds and keep it aside.
- Add in the mashed potatoes.
- Add in the red chili powder, amchoor powder, garam masala and coarsely pound coriander seeds. If you want u can coarsely pound cumin seeds and peanuts too. I added cumin powder.
- If u want you can add cashew nuts too. Since we are frying the samosa you can add it as it is. No need to fry the cashews.
- Cook this for few minutes and mix well nicely. Switch off the flame. Samosa filling is ready.
Lets make the shaping of samosa.
- Take a medium lemon sized dough and roll this into a oblong shape thin roti.
- Cut this diagonally using a sharp knife.
- Take one portion and apply little water on one end of it as shown in the picture.
- Bring both the edges backwards and make a cone shape.
- Make a cone shape by sealing both the edges. Be careful to seal it properly ,else it will break in oil.
- Place 1 tblsp of potato filling into this .
- Apply water on the edges of the outer cover. Bring both sides together.
- If needed you can fold the edge and bring it together as shown in the picture below.
- Samosas are ready. Repeat this same procedure for rest of the dough. For the filling was perfect for the dough, a small piece of dough i discarded since i don't have filling.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- When it is hot bring it to medium heat and put 2-4 samosas at a time, depends on the size of the pan.
- Do not over crowd the pan.
- Deep fry on both sides till golden brown.
- Drain excess oil in a Kitchen towel.
- Hot samosas are ready to serve. Enjoy samosa with ginger cardamom tea.
- Resting time for the dough is must to make the outer crust crispy and smooth while shaping them.
- Adding onions and peas to the masala is purely of your choice.
- Go ahead and make any type of masala you want to fill.
- While sealing ensure it is sealed properly. Else it may break into the oil while frying and make a mess.
- Always keep the made samosa covered till you fry them.
- If you want to fry the next day, you can do this too. After making put them in big ziplock bags and keep it in the freezer.
- You can take it out from the freezer and fry it the next day. No need to thaw it for a long time.