Pumpkin sauce pasta
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 2
Pumpkin cubes 1 cup
Garlic 4 pods
Red chili 2
Tomato 1/2 (optional)
Milk 1 cup
Grated cheese 3 tblsp
Broccoli 5 florets(optional)
Basil leaves few (to garnish ) optional
Penne pasta 1 cup
Olive oil 2 tsp
Dried herbs | oregano a pinch (optional)
Salt as needed (for both pasta and sauce)
- In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and , roughly chopped onions, peeled garlic and red chili. Cook this in a medium flame for 2 minutes. Now add the pumpkin cubes. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water to this and cook this till the pumpkin becomes soft. The pumpkin tends to cook fast.
- Check whether it is cooked or not by inserting a knife into it.
- Allow this to completely cook. If it has little water left, no need to worry, use it for grinding.
- Grind this into a smooth paste. You can add some milk while grinding too.
- Add the remaining milk to this. Use boiled and cooled milk. Do not use hot milk, it will curdle.
- Add the sauce mixed with milk, to a pan. Keep it in a very low flame.
- Add the cheese and cook for a minute. Keep the flame to medium for a minute and switch it off. Add the herbs and salt. Switch off the flame.
- Pumpkin Pasta sauce is ready. This recipe yields 1 cup of pasta sauce.
- This can be stored in the refrigerator for a day.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions in the pack. Add 1 tsp of oil while cooking.
- Drain the water . Reserve 2 tblsp of water for later use.
- Add 1/2 cup of pumpkin pasta sauce to the pan and add the 2 tblsp of reserved water which we kept aside. (pasta cooked water)
- Add the cooked pasta to this.
- If adding broccoli florets put them in hot water for a minute and then add.
- Add the broccoli florets if adding. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve this hot. You can add some grated cheese on the top or garnish with some basil leaves too.
- You can add few cherry tomato while cooking the pumpkin. This gives a nice tangy flavour and colour to the pasta sauce.
- Along with broccoli you can add some cooked peas and partially cooked carrots too.
- Do not boil the sauce for a long after adding the milk and cheese. Else it will curdle.
- You can use any pasta of your choice.