Vazhakkai | Raw banana chips is a rare one which i make at home, though my grandmother makes a super crispy chips often. One day i had a sudden craving for this chips and i decided to make it out and asked my mom for the exact procedure of making it(though i know roughly). The raw banana chips came out super crispy and yum and we enjoyed with hot rice and Paruppu urundai kuzhambhu for a weekend lunch. Will be posting the recipe for parrupu urundai kuzhambhu in my next post.
Also check out my
Also check out my
|RAW BANANA | VAZHAKKAI||2|
|OIL||TO DEEP FRY|
|BLACK PEPPER POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/8 TSP|
- Peel the skin of the raw bananas and slice them using a slicer (mandoline slicer)and immerse it in salt water for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take out the slices and pat dry in a kitchen towel.
- On the other hand heat the oil for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot, carefully put in the dried and sliced raw bananas.
- Fry it in batches. Do not put too much at a time. Also carefully put them and ensure everyone is separate . If the raw banana slices are together then it will get cooked evenly and will become soggy.
- When the sizzle sound of the oil subsides, take them out and drain it in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat this for the rest of the slices.
- Transfer it to a wide airtight container. Add pepper powder and chilli powder. Do not add salt as we added while immersing them in water.
- Shake vigorously for even mixing of spices.
- Enjoy crispy Vazhakkai chips with Rice and sambar or with tea | coffee.
- Just before frying take out the sliced raw bananas from water and pat dry. Else the color will become dull.
- After frying and draining the excess oil in the kitchen towel, a minute later transfer it to a air tight container. Repeat this for all the batches . If the chips stays outside till the entire batch gets over it will loose its crispiness.
- For a healthy version you can bake it instead of frying.
- In my in laws place the cook mami will take out the skin of the vazhakkai ( as we do for ripe banana) and directly slice them in the oil. though i have seen that I never tried as i don’t think i can bear the heat!!