Preparation Time : 10 mins + Soaking time 12 hrs| Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Mixed Legumes* 1/4 cup each
Oil 2 tsp
Coconut oil few drops (optional)
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida 2 pinches
To Roast and grind
Toor Dal 1/2 tblsp
Urad dal 1/2 tblsp
Channa dal 1/2 tblsp
Sesame seeds| ellu 1/2 tblsp
Dhaniya 1 tblsp
Red chili 2
Omam| ajwain 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Coconut 2 tblsp
* I used White Chole. Black kondakadalai, Black urad dal, Karamani(both black and white) green peas, white peas, Rajma and peanut.
Actually i soaked 1/4 cup each but the next day it was too much as they have doubled in size. So i took half from that and cooked, which came to 2 cups of cooked sundal. the rest of it i drained the water thoroughly, washed it nicely and put it in a zip lock cover and kept inside the freezer.
This will stay good for 10 days. You can take out whenever you want and cook.
- Soak all the legumes in a wide bowl,except white karamani and urad dal. The white karamani and urad dal soak separately.
- Cook this in a pressure cooker by keeping both in a separate vessel. Add half of the salt to this while cooking. I kept both inside the cooker at the same time but added very little water to the urad dal and karamani mixture, as they tend to overcook so quickly.
- Drain the water completely and mix all the legumes together.
- Now dry roast all the ingredients under under the heading”to roast” in the ingredient table, except coconut. roast till the become nice golden brown. Be careful not to burn it.
- Switch off the flame and add the coconut and curry leaves. Let this cook in that warmth.
- Grind this into fine powder. The podi came to 4 tblsp and i used 3 tblsp of this for the sundal. You can even add this to the rasam or sambar too.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- Add in the cooked sundal to this.
- Add the podi to this. I added 3 tblsp of the ground powder. Mix well.
- Sprinkle few drops of coconut oil, if adding, and mix well. Sundal is ready for neivedyam.
- You can soak just 1 tblsp of all the legumes if making for 4-5 people.
- You can even replace few legumes with kollu, mochai, green gram or sweet corn too.
- the spice mix you can make in advance,without coconut and add it to the sundal. Add coconut in the last.
- Adding ajwain aids in digestion.