Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Yields: 10-12 idlis
Poha | aval 2 cups (thick or thin)
Yogurt 1/2 cup
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard seed 1/4 tsp
Channa dal 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts 4-5 (optional)
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
Salt as needed
Eno fruit salt 1 tsp
Curry leaves + coriander leaves few
Carrot 2 tblsp (finely chopped)
Peas 1 tblsp
- You can use any variety of poha (thick or thin). Roast the poha in a pan for 2 minutes without getting it burnt.
- Coarsely powder them in a mixer. Just pulse them twice will do.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds, cashew nuts , finely chopped green chili, channa dal, cashew nuts ,chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves. When they are turning golden brown add the chopped carrot and peas. Adding veggies is purely optional.
- Allow this to cool. Add the pulsed poha to this. When the seasoning is completely cool add the yogurt to this.
- By this time heat the idli pan and grease the idli plates.
- Add salt to this. Add water to get the right consistency. The poha will absorb more water but stop with 1 to 1 and half cup of water. After adding eno salt it will be ok .
- Add eno salt to this and mix this well. Immediately add this to the idli pan.
- Steam the idli for 10 minutes .
- Super soft poha idlis are ready to serve. You can serve with any side dish of your choice.
- You can add onions too while seasoning.
- Instead of eno fruit salt you can add 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- You can grate the carrots too instead of chopping it.