Avalakki Upkari | Poha upkari a no cook aval based Udupi style recipe, served for breakfast or as tea time snack. Recently during a casual conversation with my friend, she was telling about this udupi style upkari. This recipe does not involve any cooking. She sent me a box full of avalakki upkari | poha upkari for tasting and also shared this easy poha recipe. We need to use thin poha for this poha recipe. I had 1 cup of thin poha left in my pantry and used it up for this recipe. I loved the sweet, spicy taste of this authentic mangalorean recipe and do try this healthy poha recipe. We have good collection of mangalore udupi style recipes in Jeyashri’s Kitchen. Check out mangalorean bun, Cucumber tambuli, uppu khuli dosa, udupi sambar, mangalorean rasam.
Check out my complete collection of poha recipes.
Avalakki Upkari recipe
- 3/4 cup Poha | aval
- 2 tblsp Jaggery
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 +1 Red chilli
- 1/4 cup Coconut
- Salt as needed
- 3 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Urad dal
- Curry leaves few
- Grind the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and red chili into a powder. No need to roast it. Let this be slightly coarse. Alternatively you can use Udupi style rasam powder.
- In a wide bowl add the ground mixture (if adding rasam powder add as per your spice preference) , jaggery, coconut and salt.
- In a pan add coconut oil and temper the mustard seeds, urad dal and 1 red chilli.
- Add this to the bowl. Mix everything well with your hands.
- Now add the thin poha to this. No need to wash the poha.
- Mix everything. Serve immediately.
- Add the jaggery and the spice mixture as per your taste.
- Do not forget to temper in coconut oil. That will enhance the taste of the avalaki upkari
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds and 2 red chili into a powder. No need to roast them. Alternatively you can use udupi style rasam powder.
- In a wide bowl add the ground powder(if adding rasam powder add as per your spice preference), jaggery, coconut and salt.
- In a pan temper the mustard seeds, urad dal and red chili using coconut oil.
- Add this to the bowl and mix everything well with using your hands.
- Now add the thin poha to this. No need to wash the poha, wipe with a clean cloth and add.
- Mix everything well now evenly.
- Serve immediately.
- Add the rasam powder and jaggery as per your taste.
- Coconut oil is a must for this avalakki upkari recipe.