Masala sabudana khichdi with step by step pictures, perfect non-sticky sabudana khichidi recipe, with the addition of onion, veggies, and peanuts. Usually, we make this sago khichdi during the fasting period. We always make a no onion no garlic version of sago upma. It’s always tricky to get a non-sticky sago upma. Please read the full post to see how to make non-sticky sabudana khichidi. I have already posted no onion garlic sago upma. The popular Sabudana vada recipe is also available in Jeyashri’s kitchen with full video.
Masala Sabudana khichdi
Masala Sabudana Khichdi
- 1/2 Cup Sabudana | sago
- 1 Onion
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 4 tsp Oil
- 1 Green chili
- Curry leaves few
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tblsp Carrots
- 2 tblsp Frozen peas
- Salt as needed
- 2 tblsp Roasted peanuts
- Lemon juice few drops
- Wash the sago 4-5 times in running water. This is to get rid of the starch.
- Drain the water completely and sprinkle 2 hands of water and mix it well.
- Cover and keep it aside for 4 hours.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt this and mix well.
- In a pan add oil and add in the curry leaves, slit green chili and finely chopped onions.
- Saute the onion till translucent.
- Add in the carrots and peas. Cook for few minutes. Add salt.
- Coarsely pulse the roasted peanuts.
- Add the Sago pearls to pan. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peanut powder and mix well.
- Drizzle few drops of lemon juice.
- Sabudana khichdi is ready, serve hot.
- Wash the sago nicely few times to get rid of the starch, so that you get non sticky sabudana khichdi.
- Wash the sago 4-5 times in running water to get rid of the starch.
- Drain the water completely and sprinkle 2 hands of water and mix well.
- Cover and keep it aside for 4-5 hours. Overnight is also fine.
- Adding too much water while soaking will make the upma sticky.
- Add red chili powder. turmeric powder and salt to the sago and mix well.
- In a pan add oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and green chili.
- Add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add carrots, peas at this stage and cook for few minutes in a medium flame. Stir in between.
- Cook till crunchy.
- Meanwhile coarsely pulse the roasted peanuts and keep aside.
- Add the soaked sago pearls and mix gently. Cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Add the pulsed peanuts to this and mix well.
- Drizzle lemon juice.
- Masala sabudana khichidi is ready to serve.
- Always serve hot.