Dal palak | spinach dal is an easy and comforting dish and though i have tasted this in restaurants never tried at home. But my friends here, used to make this often for rotis. For a change from usual Keeari masiyal and keerai poriyal i tried this dal palak which a bunch of palak which i got from the Indian store . To my surprise the kids and hubby loved this a lot and they finished the entire bowl in no time.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Palak | spinach 2 cups
Garlic 3-4 cloves
Ginger 1/2 tsp (chopped)
Green chili 2
Toor dal 3/4 cup (cooked)
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil + ghee 2 tsp each.
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice 1 tsp
- Wash the palak and chop them finely.
- Chop the onion and the ginger finely. Slit the green chilies.
- Cook the toor dal with garlic pods, in pressure cooker till 4-5 whistles. Mash it nicely and keep aside.
- In a pan oil and ghee. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle add the ginger, onion and green chilli.
- Cook till the onions turn pink and translucent.
- Add the chopped palak and add sugar and salt.
- Cook in a medium flame till the spinach shrinks.
- This will take 4-5 minutes
- Add the cooked toor dal and mix well. If it is thick add water to reach a right kootu consitency.
- Bring this to a nice boil. Switch off the flame and squeeze the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice | roti.
- If you are adding tomatoes add just after the onions are cooked.
- Do not add lemon juice in the last if you are adding tomato.
- You can add chopped onions and tomatoes to the dal while adding garlic(before cooking)