Mirchi ka salan is a hyderabadi delicacy which is generally made as an accompaniment for Biryani and can also be had with rotis and rice too. I wanted to try this Mirchi ka salan for a long time and last week when i saw this bajji chiilies in the nearby Indian shop i picked it up to try out the Mirchi ka salan. I liked the taste of this and it went well with Vegetable biryani(will post the recipe later)
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2-3
|LONG GREEN CHILLI||5|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1 CUP|
|GINGER GARLIC PASTE||1 TSP|
|ROASTED PEANUTS*||2 TBLSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||2 TBLSP|
|FRESH COCONUT | KOPPARAI*||2 TBLSP|
|SESAME SEEDS||2 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
*I used the store bought roasted peanuts, if you are the raw peanuts , dry roast them and phew the skin.
*If using fresh coconut, dry roast it till golden brown and add.
- Wash and cut the slit the mirchis and take out the seeds from inside and cut them in lengthwise.
- In a pan add2 tblsp of oil and saute the mirchi. Generally it has to be deep fried but i avoided deep frying. But shallow frying makes the mirchi shrink. So it is up to to you whether to make it deep fry or not.
- Drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- In the same pan, add ginger garlic paste and when the raw smell disappears add the finely chopped onions. Saute till the onion turns golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they become mushy.
- Allow this to cool and grind smoothly into a paste.
- Roast the sesame seeds and grind this into powder along with peanuts,cumin seeds and coconut. Since i used roasted peanuts and kopparai(dry coconut) i didn’t roast it. and i forgot to roast the sesame seeds !!
- Add oil to the pan and add the ground onion tomato paste to this. Saute for a few minutes in a low flame. Add the peanut masala to this and saute for a while.
- Now add the red chilli powder and saute well. Add 1/4 cup of water to this.
- Add salt to taste. Now add the tamarind extract to thisand let it boil for 2-3 minutes in a low flame. Stir in between. Now add the shallow fried chillies and mix well. Let it boil for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves.