Thiratipaal | Palkova is a must one we make at home for Janmashtami. My mil makes palkova and my mom makes basundi. Both are experts in their own way in making this palkova. I tried microwave version of theratipal long back and posted the recipe too. My mil makes with cow’s milk and she always tells that it will give a perfect taste and colour to the palkova.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add the milk and start boiling this.
- Place a very small plate into this, this is to avoid the milk getting burnt and over flowing.
- Continuously stir in the milk Though we place the small plate, stir continuously to avoid getting burnt.
- Put in a small flame.
- Let this boil till it becomes a semi thick gravy. Now the color of the milk will be slightly different.
- Add sugar to this.
- After adding sugar, the mixture will loosen slightly. Boil this for few more minutes.
- The mixture becomes thick , add the yogurt to this and mix well. Let this be in flame for just 2 minutes, to get a grainy texture. Scrap out the edges.
- Palkova is ready for neivedhyam.
- Adding yogurt is to get a grainy texture. So add in the last and switch off the flame in 2 minutes.
- Do not add more curd, will give a sour taste to the sweet.
- You can take this out in a semi consistency state, if you want basundi.
- Adding cardamom powder is optional as i always feel, it will suppress the original taste of the palkova.