Puli pongal recipe with step by step pictures and video, a traditional recipe made using Broken rice and tamarind extract. This puli pongal is a no onion no garlic recipe. It tastes similar to puliyodarai but a one pot recipe made using broken rice | arisi kurunai. I haven’t tried this but wanted to try it out for a long time. The recipe was shared by a reader of Jeyashri’s kitchen, Mrs. Lakshmi, some time back. I used store bought arisi kurunai for making this puli pongal. If you want to make at home, was the rice and drain the water completely. Dry it in a shady place, inside the house for 10- 15 minutes. Pulse this in the mixie and use the kurunai for making puli pongal. Check out my arisi upma recipe to check how to make arisi kurunai at home. Traditionally puli pongal is made in a uruli (heavy bottomed brass vessel), but i made in pressure cooker to make it simple and easy.
Also check out
For my readers in Singapore, we get broken rice | arisi kurunai from Sri murugan stores outlets. We can use this kurunai for making puli pongal, arisi upma and pongal too. Sri Murugan stores has a wide range of grocery products, fresh vegetables and fruits. They do home delivery at your door steps. You can place your order through Sri Murugan iOs | android app.
Method with step by step pictures :
- Soak a small lemon sized tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water for 10 minutes.
- Extract tamarind juice using 1 cup of water.
- In a pressure pan | cooker, add 2 tblsp sesame oil.
- Add the 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 2 tblsp peanuts.
- Saute them for a minute and add the 1 tsp urad dal and 1 tsp chana dal.
- Add 2 red chili, curry leaves and 2 green chili.
- Saute till the dal turns golden brown.
- Add the 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Mix well and add the tamarind extract. The tamarind extract was about 1.5 cups.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Add salt.
- Allow this to boil nicely.
- Once it starts boiling add 1 cup of broken rice to this.
- Mix well nicely without any lumps.
- Cover the cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, open and add 2 tsp of sesame oil.
Serve with vadams or appalam