Rajma|Red kidney bean sundal, is an easy variety of sundal to make for navaratri. I usually make Rajma masala , but rajma sundal i am trying for the first time. I tried slightly mint flavored rajma sundal just to enhance the taste. And believe me, it came out very well and the slight flavor of mint leaves and rajma paired very well. Try out this rajma sundal for Navratri 2014. It is also a healthy snack for kids too. Check out my Navaratri recipes
Soak the rajma for 10 to 12 hours or overnight. Wash it thoroughly and add water to this and little salt . Pressure cook this until 6-7 whistles. Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the mint leaves in a pan till they turn crispy. Do not burn it. Carefully roast.
- Dry roast the urad dal, black pepper and red chilli and powder this along with the mint leaves. Do not worry if they are little coarse. Since i used 1/2 cup of rajma the spice mix was very less. If making in bulk, you can powder the spice mix finely.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add in the cooked rajma and add little salt. Add the spice powder. Mix well.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well. Drizzle with some coconut oil and put off the flame.
- Flavorful sundal is ready for neivedyam.
- If you do not have mint leaves in hand, you can try with coriander leaves.
- If you feel your rajma variety is not cooking properly, add a pinch of cooking soda while cooking the rajma.
- Do not add more salt while cooking the rajma as it will not cook properly.