EASY LUNCH BOX RECIPE – TRIED FROM RAK’S KITCHEN.
This is the first time i am trying the recipe of Semiya or vermicelli biryani. Usually i make the some rice varieties for kids lunch box and for a change i tried this Semiya biryani from Rak’s Kitchen . Though it turned out quite well and i planned to make this once in a week for lunch box.
If you wonder, that i am not using any fancy plastic box for kids lunch box, no i won’t use any plastic and use only stainless steel lunch box as even a high quality plastic is not good as it will bring many health problems in long run. Even the storage boxes i use in the kitchen are stainless steel only. So try to avoid using plastic boxes as much as you can.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 2) FOR ORIGINAL RECIPE, CLICK HERE.
I slightly altered the recipe to suit my taste.
|ROASTED VERMICELLI||1/2 CUP|
|THIN COCONUT MILK||1/2 CUP|
|MIXED VEGETABLES||1/4 CUP|
|FENNEL SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|OIL | GHEE||1-2 TBLSP|
- Grind the mint leaves, garlic flakes,fennel seeds, green chilli and cardamom into a fine paste adding little water to it.
- Slice the onions and chop the veggies finely. I used carrot,beans and green peas.
- In a pan, add oil | ghee and add the cumin seeds and the onions. Saute till the onions turn brown.
- Mix 1 tblsp of coconut cream powder in 1/4 cup of water. If using fresh coconut milk, just use the thin milk.
- Add the ground masala paste and saute well, till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the veggies and saute well for 3-5 minutes in a medium flame, till the veggies gets half cooked. Add the coconut milk and let it boil in a low flame.
- Add salt and add the roasted vermicelli. I used the roasted one, if using the non roasted one, roast the semiya well ,else the biryani will be sticky.
- Cover and cook in a very low flame till the moisture gets absorbed.
- Enjoy with any raita of your choice.
- Instead of grinding the mint leaves you can finely chop them and add too.
- Do not add too much of water or coconut milk, it will make the biryani sticky.
- If using plain vermicelli, roast it nicely in a low flame, else the biryani will be sticky