Thakkali kuzhambu is in my to do list for a long time. This South Indian Kuzhambu recipe i have tasted in restaurants and in friend’s place few times . As i saw nice ripe tomatoes in the market 2 days back ,wanted to try a recipe with Tomato. My sister make this very well and asked her the recipe over phone and tried it yesterday for lunch. It turned out very well and was quite flavourful too.
Check out my
Check out my
- Take out the skin of onion and and cut them into small. Chop the tomato finely.
- Take out the skin of garlic and ginger.
- In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger.
- Add in the fennel seeds. Switch off the flame and add the coconut.
- Saute the chopped tomatoes till it turns mushy. Allow this to cool.
- Grind the onion mixture and tomato mixture into a fine paste.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the ground masala and add 1 to 2 cups of water. Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Allow this to boil for 10 minutes in a medium low flame till the raw smell of the powders disappear. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with plain rice.
- You can skip the step of grinding the tomatoes and grind only the onion, garlic mixture. Since i don’t like the tomato chunks i ground the tomatoes.
- You can add pattai, cloves,bay leaf and one elachi while tempering the mustard seeds.
- You can replace fennel with cumin seeds too.