Tomato pickle | Thakkali oorugai recipe with full video in Tamil and step by step instructions.
I am a big fan of homemade tomato thokku. When i was casually talking with a friend in Chennai, she was telling tomatoes were in season and they are getting nice red tomatoes. So I decided to make tomato pickle | Thakkali oorugai recipe. It turned out so well and I am enjoying this pickle for my dosa, idli , parathas, upmas , curd rice, sambar sadam …. Make it today and enjoy it for a month. Check out my tomato biryani, tomato puree, Tomato sweet jam.
Tomato pickle recipe
- 5 Tomato
- 20 Garlic
- Tamarind a small goose berry size
- 3-4 tsp Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- ½ tsp + 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil
- Chop the tomatoes finely. Peel the skin of garlic and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the mustard seeds(1 tsp) and fenugreek seeds nicely. Be careful not to get it burnt.
- If you can grind this in a mixie. Since it is a small quantity i used a mortar and pestel to grind this.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add sesame oil and add mustard sees (1/4 tsp) and add the garlic pods.
- Cook in a low flame till the garlic slightly changes the colour.
- Add the chopped tomato to this. Cover this and cook for 10 minutes. The tomaotes will ooze out water, so no need to add water. But keep the flame medium.
- Soak the tamarind and extract the tamrind juice using 3/4 cup of water. After 10 minutes add the tamarind water to this.
- Add the red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook this till the raw smell of the red chili powder goes.
- Add the roasted mustard and vendaya powder to this. Mix well.
- Add little jaggery to this. Mix well and continue to cook till the tomato reaches the pickle consistency.
- Once it reaches the right stage, switch off the flame. Allow this to cool completely.
- Transfer it to a clean dry container and keep it inside the refrigerator. A perfect side dish for Parathas, roti and curd rice too.