Vatha kuzhambhu is always a super hit in my family and generally i make it by adding some veggies to it. We can use okra, capsicum,small onions,drumstick and any veggie of ur own choice. My mom makes with black channa and appalam also. Check out my vengaya vathakuzhambu and arachuvitta vathakuzhambu recipe. But after marriage, i never made this with appalam. Last night when i was speaking to my friend, she was asking me the recipe for appalam kuzhambhu.
This taste so yum,when accompanied by parruppu usili.
Appalam vatha kuzhambu
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Appalam | papad 2
Tamarind extract 2 cups
Sambar powder 3 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Sesame oil 2 tsp
Jaggery 1 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Venthayam | methi seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Red chili 2
- Soak Tamarind in hot water and extract juice from this using 2 cups of water.
- Throw away the pulp.
- Cut the appalams in to small pieces.
- In a kadai, heat the oil and temper with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chilles.
- When done, throw in the appalams and fry for a minute.
- The appalams will get fried.
- Now add the tamarind extract, sambar powder,turmeric powder, salt, asafoetida and jaggery to it.
- Allow it to boil for 10 – 12 mins in medium flame.
- When it reaches the desired consistency, switch off the flame.
- Add a tsp of sesame oil to it.
- Add the curry leaves to it.
- Enjoy with hot rice.
I served with Kootu made with chow chow. Appalam has salt in it so please add salt accordingly.