Stuffed Brinjals in tamarind gravy
I have been waiting to make this ennai kathirikkai kulambhu for a long time, and finally I made this today for lunch. Try out his simple and easy one for your lunch.
SPICE POWDER FOR STUFFING:
|CORINDER SEEDS||1/2 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI||2 NO|
|TOOR DAL||1/2 TBLSP|
|URAD DAL||1/2 TBLSP|
|COCONUT GRATED||1/2 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)|
|GARLIC||1 POD (OPTIONAL)|
- Dry roast all the items except coconut till golden brown.
- If using coconut, dry roast them separately.
- Allow it to cool and make it into a fine powder.
|SMALL BRINJALS||10-12 NO|
|SMALL ONIONS(SHALLOTS)||6-7 NO|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||3 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||3-4 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Slit the brinjals into 4 parts. Do not cut this fully.
- Stuff the spice powder into this and keep it aside. Repeat this for rest of the brinjals.
- In a pan add oil and sesame oil. Throw in the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Peel the skin of small onion and add this and fry till it turns golden brown color.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and fry for sometime.
- Now add the tamarind extract.
- Add in the sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and boil for 10 mins till you reach the right consistency.
- When it is done, transfer to a serving bowl and add a tsp of sesame oil on the top.
- Enjoy with any kootu of your choice.